Skip to content

Why I Am Endorsing President Barack Obama

October 29, 2012

Four years ago, I left the Republican Party of which I was a lifelong member and became an independent. Not long after, I supported Barack Obama in the 2008 election for president. I made this decision determined to look at the issues not as a Republican or a Democrat, but as an American.

It is through that lens that I consider my choice in the 2012 election. Like many other voters who crossed party lines to vote for Barack Obama in the last election, I have watched the 2012 campaign carefully and listened closely to what the candidates have said. I believe that President Obama should be re-elected.

Very few American presidents have been truly prepared to assume that job. Four years ago, Obama, a relatively inexperienced public servant, became the 44th President of the United States during one of the most difficult times our country has faced. The nation’s economy was on the brink of collapse. Our image overseas was tarnished, and our military was bogged down in two unpopular wars. I supported Obama then because I thought that he was unflappable. I saw him as a man with a keen intellect and a cool analytical head. I believed he would also be able to inspire those who had suffered most from a recession unparalleled since the Great Depression. In doing so, I reasoned, he would go a long way towards reuniting a nation deeply divided.

Obama was elected and took office, building on a number of stabilization programs initiated by the Bush administration. He took many other vital steps that reestablished our economic footing, including saving America’s automobile industry.

In the last four years, and despite the global downturn, America has come back from the brink. While pain is still being felt in far too many sectors of the economy, from a macroeconomic standpoint the situation in the United States is better than it is among our allies. According to the International Monetary Fund, today the United States is poised for 3 percent growth, which would make our economy the strongest of the other richest economies, including Canada and Germany. Other influential studies, cited in a recent column by Fareed Zakaria, show that debt in the U.S. financial sector, relative to GDP, has declined to levels not seen since before the 2000 bubble. And consumer confidence is now at its highest levels since September 2007. The housing market is also slowly coming back. While there is still an enormous amount to do to assure a recovery, the president deserves credit for a steady hand during this dangerous and unpredictable time.

In the last four years, President Obama has also had to contend with a rapidly changing international environment. He ended the war in Iraq, was the first Democratic president to ratify an arms control treaty with the Russian Federation, and rallied global leaders to put nuclear security at the top of the international agenda. The Obama Administration has also been responsible for decimating the top leadership of al-Qaeda and introducing biting sanctions on Iran. Today the president has significant experience in managing foreign relations, experience that GOP candidate Mitt Romney and his running mate, Paul Ryan, do not have.

As a result of this campaign I am more confused than ever about what Mitt Romney stands for. I know little of his core beliefs, if he even has any. No one seems to agree on what they are, and that’s why I do not want to take a chance on finding out.

Given Romney’s shifting positions, he can only be judged by the people with whom he surrounds himself. Many of them espouse yesterday’s thinking on national defense and security, female/family reproductive rights, and the interplay of government and independent private enterprise. In this context, Barack Obama represents the future, not that past. His emphasis on education is an example of the importance he places on preparing rising generations to assume their places as innovators and entrepreneurs, workers and doers, and responsible citizens and leaders. He recognizes, as many of us do, that access to opportunities must be open to every American, regardless of race, ethnicity, or socioeconomic status. This is not an entitlement, but a sound investment in the future.

Barack Obama’s record as president has not been perfect, and there have been frustrations for all of us during this time. Nevertheless, I believe that he deserves four more years in the White House. If the voters on November 6 give him that chance, we should expect and demand, if necessary, that members of both parties work closely with him to find a way to avert the “fiscal cliff” and other pressing and possibly destabilizing problems.

As I said in 2008 and will say again: “Unless we squarely face our challenges as Americans—together– we risk losing the priceless heritage bestowed on us by the sweat and the sacrifice of our forbearers. If we do not pull together, we could lose the America that has been an inspiration to the world.”

1. October 31, 2012 12:51 pm

Would you consider taking out some ads, either on TV/radio or in print, stating this endorsement? Please please please…your good name could help secure a second term.

2. October 31, 2012 12:54 pm

I thank you soo very much for this thoughtful analysis of the past 4 years….
    It has been very difficult to explain to colleagues, who seem poised to vote Republican because that’s the way their parents always voted, how the party has changed….and how the fiscal and personal values they project will send us back 40-50 years. I’ve often told those younger than I that I vote the way I do because of my life experiences. We cannot afford a tax without plans for increased revenue, and we certainly can’t support the attack on women’s health. Thank you Susan!

3. Ron Hooper permalink
    October 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Thank you for speaking your mind on the truth as most of America sees it

4. Richard Guilmette permalink
    October 31, 2012 1:57 pm

Really Susan, really! Try something for yourself: get a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and on the left side at the top of the paper write the words “What did the Prseident accomplish while in office”, and on the other side write the words “What what do you wish he had accomplished while in office”. Be truthful because only you will see this paper. See which column has the most entries. By the way, lowering his golf handicap doesn’t count.

5. Roger Hale permalink
    October 31, 2012 2:41 pm

Very thoughtful, Susan…great endorsement!

6. Carol permalink
    October 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I strongly disagree with Susan Eisenhower’s misleading information. Consumer confidence is not at its highest level since September 2007 and the housing market is not slowly coming back. Every year since Obama has been president this is what we hear by the media. Guess what? It never changes, and if it does, it gets worse. It’s all BS! This is democratic propaganda posted on the internet to sway voters to vote for Obama next week.

7. Humphrey permalink
    October 31, 2012 2:53 pm

I just wanted to add I really like Susan Eisenhower and admired her Grandfather immensely.
    I read many of his books and also his Son John Eisenhower’s book on The great General.
    My Husband was a huge fan of Eisenhower and he had been a Democrat his whole life.. Before he passed away from Lymphoma this June 11, He actually said to me, I never forgot this because he was not Sleeping, that he saw Eisenhower over his bed reaching out to shake his hand, his daughters thought he was hallucinating but he was not on medication,and this was the first time .he ever had something like this happen. He said That President Eisenhower appeared, not dressed the way he remembered him but as if he was in the Hospital,he said the President smiled, reached out shook his hand and that was it.. At first I thought he was dreaming but he said, NO.Later,when things got a little difficult for him,I would always remark. Hey IKE shook YOUR hand! that although he had a battle he would win the War. That episode gave me comfort on many levels but also I think due to the Fact that I know Where my Husband is and That IKE is certainly with him..

8. Dareleane Ricks permalink
    October 31, 2012 3:01 pm

I voted for then Senator Obama in 2008 … not because he was black and I am … not because he was Democrate and I am … but because I thought him to be the most qualified. I will vote for him again … not because I’m black or a Democrate … but because I think he’s the most qualified. I am part of the 47% who works hard every day … finding it hard to make my ends meet … who pays so much in Medical insurance each payday … I want the same opportunities for my children and grand-children that the Romnies have (without my children having to borrow from their parents **Me**). It’s a shame that people even in 2012 can’t look beyound race and see qualifications. I pray that everybody votes regardless of party line … VOTE and as my Great-grandfather use to say … if you don’t then don’t complain …

9. Rich permalink
    October 31, 2012 3:05 pm

Thank you for your common sense, honesty, and courage.

10. Jeff W permalink
    October 31, 2012 3:10 pm

Wonderfully said, thoughtful and sensible. I would add that the current GOP, which your grandfather would not recognize, is actively trying to steal this election through electoral fraud (voter suppression, voter caging, destruction of voter registrations, the list goes on).
    For that reason alone, I could not vote Republican in this election. I can only hope that Obama’s reelection will put moderate, pragmatic and honest Republicans back in charge of what has become more like a street gang than a sane, responsible political party.

11. Marianne Bailey permalink
    October 31, 2012 4:16 pm

So well said. My feelings exactly and put very clearly for all of us to absorb. We know what he has accomplished, and the realty is lost in this election. So much is focused on the work that still needs to be done as if none has been done already. The challenges Obama faced in 2009 when he stepped into the Oval Office were so vast. He has tackeld them one after the other, often with little support from Republicans that are currently in office. We need to ask oursleves what needs to change?

12. October 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Well said! Thank you for such an articulate article. You have a new fan.

13. Richard Beople permalink
    October 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Madam you must live on a different planet than I do! This man has in no way attempted to unite us as a people. He has continued to divide us like, I believe, no other President of my time and I remember all back to Truman. Other than in rhetoric he has not reached out or even attempted to form any coalitions on any issue. He has force fed his narrative to us as though we are children not wise enough to know how to take care of ourselves and I believe he thinks only government can be big daddy. He has an unbearable arrogance and quite frankly is rude and simply mean spirited if you disagree with him and he alone takes credit for all success and points fingers and places blame elsewhere if something fails.

Now to the important stuff. We have had people killed on our Southern boarder due to policies of his administration. A US boarder agent and hundreds of Mexican citizens died! Additionally due to his administration policies we lost an American Ambassador and other citizens with no real effort made to provide adequate protection or come to their rescue in Libya. Again people died! He promised and perhaps you fail to remember to preside over the most transparent administration of all time if elected, this has not happened has it? The two above example illustrate that! He has driven this country into debt at an alarming rate after promising to cut the deficit. It is at an unparalleled 4 year high! You must be joking if you think for one moment continuing the policies and leading from behind in the world today as proposed by this man and his administration will advance this countries needs into the future. Additionally, there has not been a budget passed by the Democrat controlled Senate in 4 years! They only Demagog the House and Judiciary right along with this President. Well let me give you some advice Madam when you stumble into reality do not fall into the Kool-aid vat! If you do do not swallow or inhale any of it!

1. Chester County Democratic Committee » Why I Am Endorsing President Barack Obama
  2. Why I Am Endorsing President Barack Obama – Susan Eisenhower | How To Reduce Debt Quickly
  3. Chester County Democratic Committee » Why I Am Endorsing … | The Bush Recession
  4. On Friday’s Radio Show…
  5. Susan Eisenhower Appears on Sky News, Makes Election Day Predictions «